My Family

My Family

Thursday, February 24, 2011

A Scary Day

Yesterday was by far my hardest day as a mom with all 3 kids not feeling well, today was by far my scariest day as a mom!

As you know from my previous blog Cameryn has been fighting a fever the last few days...I took her in on Tuesday and by the time I got the Dr. appointment her ibuprofen had kicked in and she didn't have a fever anymore, they still checked her ears, nose and throat along with her lungs and they checked for the H1N1 virus which came back negative. I was told to watch over the next two days and if it wasn't better to call in and make an appointment

Last night sometime in the middle of the night I had to get up to give Jaidyn her pacifier back, on the way out of the room I felt Cameryn's head and she was hot. I decided that she would wake me if she needed medicine. She had gone to bed at 7 pm that night and didn't wake up till 830 today!

As soon as I took her out of the crib I could tell she still had a fever, I fed her and she inhaled her bottle (she hasn't been eating at all), I took her temp and it was 102.9, so I gave her some more ibuprofen and let her play on the floor, she normally LOVES this time but today she only lasted 20 minutes. I put her back in the bouncy and she was fast asleep, not even 1 hour after waking up!

At 10 am both Jaidyn and Cameryn woke up since that is their normal breakfast time for oatmeal and fruit, so I fed them, Cameryn again inhaled her food, I was thinking this was a good thing, she is getting her appetite back. She immediately fell asleep again in the swing while I took a quick shower. We then ran some medicine down to Tyson, he had forgotten his mucinex pills to help with his cold so we brought it down to him. She slept the whole way down but woke up on the way back, I could hear her giggling, so I thought great, she is coming back to her normal self!

We got home, I made Morgan lunch and decided to feed Cameryn a bottle, this was at 12 noon, again, she inhaled it. After the feeding and burping I was holding her and I noticed her hands were blue and cold to the touch! I changed her diaper and her feet were blue and cold to the touch, her temp was 101, I gave her some more Ibuprofen and I called the Dr. office to just check on her hands and feet. They said that we had to come in and they could get us in at 150, so I made the appointment. In the meantime I was trying to get Jaidyn fed and changed and put down for a nap. At 1 pm I checked on Cameryn again (as I had JUST gotten Jaidyn somewhat content in the swing) and she was HOT!!! I took her temp and she was 105.1! I was so scared and such a mess, I even broke down crying not knowing what to do!!!

I called Tyson right away and told him that she was that high and that the Dr. appt was at 150, I then called the Dr. office to see if I should take her to the ER, even though by the time I got the kids loaded up and drove to the hospital, which is right next to the Dr office, it would be my appt time, the nurse said to just come in to the appt. By the time we got there Cameryn was all RED, from head to toe and she was on fire!!!

Her temp was 104.5, the Dr came in and checked her ears, she had a hard time with her left one she said because she was so warm the wax was melting everywhere, she did see an ear infection in her right ear. She said because her fever was so high she wanted to give her a shot of an strong antibiotic right there rather than waiting for the oral medication to start working. She said that we would have to come back tomorrow to check her other ear and then they will decide if she gets another shot or starts on the oral medication.

I think both Tyson and I were a bit relieved because she was so warm I was thinking they were going to hospitalize her, but thankfully that wasn't the case! About 2 hours after getting the shot her fever was GONE! She is still fussy, but at least we don't have to worry about the fever for now!

I knew something was wrong from the get go, however sometimes ear infections just show up even if your seen 2 days prior! I just feel bad for my happy baby as she has not been happy the last few days!!!

1 comment:

  1. Sorry you guys have had such a rough go that last couple days. 3 kids sick is ROUGH! You've been handling it great! Here is to an upcoming relaxing weekend with healthy kids.

    ReplyDelete